Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Is Happiness In Your Juice?

"Happiness is an inside job."

I found this quote inside the wrapper of a delicious dark chocolate treat and absolutely loved it-both the chocolate and the quote :o). I believe that happiness truly is an inside job and until we learn to be content and happy with ourselves, and on our own, we will be unable to be truly happy in relationships and friendships; and definitely in difficult times.

There are so many situations and people in life that can hurt and discourage us, but it is up to us to decide if we are going to hold on to that hurt with an iron grip; or instead, let it go and learn how to be content and happy despite our circumstances. When we learn to react with gracious strength we can selflessly love others no matter how they have hurt us. I know from multiple experiences that bitterness and unforgiveness both like to parade into my heart in an effort to convince me that they are everything I want. I have learned the hard way that "unforgivenss is like drinking poison and hoping it kills the other person", and holding onto pain only fills my hands too full to receive emotional healing instead. When we learn to sift the good out of a bad experience we are able to learn and move forward in life with a gracious and thankful attitude. You will look back and be thankful for the lesson learned and know that it is has played an important part in shaping you into all you are meant to be in life.

So you may be asking why I'm talking about everything BUT juice. I believe that the way we look at moments in life is heavily influenced by not only our upbringing, but also our daily nutrition...or lack thereof. What? Yep. Without proper nutrition, especially for your brain, your body is left to struggle through the variety of emotions you experience each day. The result is a very tired, foggy brained, emotional, stressed out you. As I've shared with you in my bio, I started dealing with panic attacks and light depression a year after going through heartbreaking loss. In a desperate attempt to heal my body naturally and feel "normal" again, I began to research continuously and seek advice from a multitude of people with knowledge in the field of holistic nutrition. I eventually found the book The Mood Cure and have been taking suggested natural supplements for about a month. In addition to taking 5HTP, GABA, and krill oil, I have added more healthy fats such as: coconut oil, unpasteurized butter, nuts, and avacado. I have also started being more consistent with juicing daily. I feel SO much better. My panic attacks have subsided significantly and I am able to run/workout longer without my adrenal glands cutting my activity short and causing my body to "freak out".

I know how hard it is to find "happy" when you are discouraged or hurt. Dealing with sadness, anger, and stress are hard enough as it is, and grief, anxiety, depression, etc. only make the whole experience that much more of a seemingly impossible task. However, life will always throw you a curveball and there will definitely never fail to be people willing to be hurtful. It's up to you how you will allow it to shape you...for better or worse.

I believe that happiness is indeed in your juice if you always strive to see your glass half full.



To fill your glass with a healthy yummy juice try this 'Happy Morning' flavor combo from one of my favorite books. I left the spinach out of mine and drank it in a martini glass :o).


Recipe:
1/2 green apple
4-5 carrot, tops removed
3 fennel stalks;include leaves and flowers
1/2 cucumber
1 handful of spinach
1 inch piece of gingerroot, peeled

*Fennel juice has been used as a traditional tonic to help the body release endorphins, the feel good peptides, from the brain into the bloodstream Endorphins help diminish anxiety and fear, and generate a mood of euphoria.


Also check out what Dr. Mercola has to say: Can Juicing Really Lead to Happiness?

Love and Support, Meg



3 comments:

  1. Good post! I take 5HTP here and there only when I'm in a rut but need to get back into things like you have seem to have done. I'll look into the others tomorrow as my "get away" from the work thing I do during the week, hehe... It will be fun! - irvineguy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. I think you spend numerous effort and time updating your blog.I think the grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for
    quotes about happiness

    ReplyDelete