Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Notebook

"Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark."- Rabindranath Tagore

I saw this quote on a little teal notebook (my favorite color), when Tyler and I were in a small shop with my family in Manitou Springs, Colorado. My family had come for a visit that summer, from VA, and we were all spending a leisurely day together. Tyler had noticed me pick up the little notebook, due to my addiction to collecting quotes, and came over to read the quote with me. We talked for a moment about how perfect the quote was for me, because of how he always called me his "little birdie", and then I set it down as we all mingled around the store for a few more minutes. I had stepped outside to stand in the warm Colorado sunshine when Tyler came out of the store, with his usual big smile, and placed a little brown bag in my hand. As I opened it up and looked inside I saw that perfect little notebook, just waiting for me to write whimsical thoughts and ideas on it's pages. It was a simple gift, but it became so much more when it was given to me by the man who knew the true value of that quote that day. Tyler didn't just give me a thoughtful gift, he gave me a whole brown bag full of love and encouragement. Standing on the sidewalk that day he and I had no idea how much more that quote would mean to me down the road. Now when I see this little notebook on a difficult and dark day, I read the quote and I go back to that warm afternoon to gather all the love and sunshine I can from that moment together; and then I return to face my day... with faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment