Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Courage to Explore Your Heart

Hi friends,

It's been a while since I've written or posted on here, so I wanted to at least share a little something from the book I've been reading, the Unattended Sorrow: Recovering from Loss and Reviving the Heart, by Stephen Levine.I bought the book about 4 months ago and it has been a slow process to mentally digest the words as I turn each page. Even though I've only made it through 10 of the small chapters, there are already so many things that I have underlined and feel as though he was writing specifically to me. Some of my favorites in chapters 2 and 3 are:

"So we must bear loss as deeply as we cared."

 "...grief is like driving at night: though you can see only a few feet ahead of you, you can make the whole journey that way."

"Healing is replacing our merciless reactions with a merciful response."

There are so many quotes and words of wisdom that I have found in this little jem of a book. Some of the chapters have been a little emotionally draining because there are words that have opened my wounds a little more than I was prepared to feel. I was about to stop readying because of the rising emotion I felt each time I open the cover, but then I reached this sentence; and I became determined to finish the whole book no matter how long it might take me to process emotionally....

"In order to balance our fear with our courage, we must trust our pain enough to explore it."

That sentence has become part of my pep talk that I give myself on more difficult days. I hope that it inspires and encourages you just a little too. When you find yourself in a moment that seams to heavy, remember that you are not alone and that each painful moment can make you more courageous.

Much Love, Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment