Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Take an Exhale!


(photo from loveliveeveryday.tumblr.com)

Good morning ladies! I was reading through some articles on Mind Body Green.com this morning and the last one of their highlights today is about learning simple breathing exercises to help calm your anxiety and nerves. I gave it a try and absolutely feel much more relaxed. The exercise simply involves exhaling longer than you inhale. When you do this you are telling your brain to turn on your parasympathetic nervous system (which controls how your body can rest and relax, as well as your digestion) and dial down the sympathetic nervous system (which elevates your heart rate, quickens your breathing, and is responsible for pumping cortisol hormones into your blood stream so that you are ready for whatever you are 'fighting or flighting').

I will be giving this technique a go every time I start to feel stressed or overwhelmed this week. I am going to keep a log of how long I do the exercise and what my mood is like after I am done. I would love to hear your feedback if you try it as well :o).

When life becomes to stressful and you start to feel the panic rise- take a breath...and then a LONG exhale!

Love, Meg


No comments:

Post a Comment