Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Emotional Laundry

"You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present."  ~Jan Glidewell

Today I am reminding myself to never cling to the sorrow and hurt in my past; because if my arms are too busy holding onto the pain in my past, then I am unable to offer or receive love in the present. I've realized recently that choosing to carry my hurt and grief around is a lot like trying to transport an over sized load of laundry from the dryer. Sometimes you can keep it all together, and other times you drop random pieces all over the place and make a huge mess. I would much rather be able to offer and receive love, as I face each new day, than be dropping all my 'emotional laudry' all over the place.

It's not easy to move forward from emotional pain, but if we choose to cling to it then we will end up suffocating ourselves, as well as the ones we love, in a pile of dirty emotional laundry that will just grow taller and taller as we continue to drop pieces here and there.


Arms Wide Open,
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment